[labnetwork] Piranha & HF no rinse protocols

Morrison, Richard H., Jr. rmorrison at draper.com
Thu Feb 27 06:18:02 EST 2014

HI,

Here at Draper we regulate the use of 1:1 Sulfuric/H2O2 to one bench and only one bath at a time. The mixture reacts very violently and heats very quickly. In fact one time the mixture caused a small fire as a quartz bath failed and melted down and fire retardant plastic was melted and almost ignited.

After that step there is a rinse in DI followed by the HF. You cannot mix the 1:1 with the HF bath that would be a bad idea, so you need to rinse after that step.  If it is a bare silicon wafer then the wafer sheets off of the wafer but not the wafer cassette or wafer holder so a rinse is needed. I guess you could try to take out the wafer and dry it somehow but that is very risky. HF is very dangerous I do not recommend skipping the rinse step.

Rick

Draper Laboratory
Principle Member of the Technical Staff
Group Leader Microfabrication Operations
555 Technology Square
Cambridge Ma, 02139-3563

www.draper.com
rmorrison at draper.com