[labnetwork] Staff Consulting

Bob Hamilton roberthamilton at berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 2 13:47:48 EST 2014

Re: the question of outside "consulting" using lab resources, I offer a
broader reply:

As a public organization, the University of California NanoLab staff is
encouraged to share ideas and offer advice on a collegial, not-for-fee
basis. We consider it our duty and mission to pass on information free
of charge. This includes unique discoveries we've made in our lab which
may have commercial value.

Public universities are supported by tax dollars as well as corporate
and private donations. Sharing our knowledge garners goodwill and offers
benefit to both industry and society. The name of the organization the
NanoLab umbrellas under is CITRIS, the Center for Information Technology
Research in the Interest of Society, a University of California center
funded through of efforts of California's Governor Grey Davis.

More broadly, there is a precedent at the University of California
Berkeley Campus, set by professor and Nobel Prize winner Ernesto Orlando
Lawrence. Lawrence invented the cyclotron, the first tool capable of
making radionuclides thus opening up developments in all the branches of
science. He set this precedent by sharing his accelerators with other
researchers and encouraging shared-research facilities. His efforts were
the cornerstones of our National Labs and upset the self-interest often
practiced in scientific research prior to his days. One could say he was
noble and Nobel'd.

On a pragmatic basis, the juggling of one's duties for an operation like
the NanoLab leaves scant time for outside consulting.

Bob Hamilton

--
Robert Hamilton
University of California at Berkeley