[labnetwork] Anhydrous HCl after it escapes ...

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Fri Jun 6 16:55:26 EDT 2014

Tom, Craig, and Dennis:

Thanks for each of your comments.  I should have thought to mention more
about the details of our gases:

We are using electronic grade HCl specified to be 99.995% pure. While I
think that there is one grade higher, at $1200 a cylinder it should be
pretty good ...
Note: this is also set up with a DISS fitting (CGA 634 for HCl).

For our purge gas we use 10% He in a balance of nitrogen, again with a
DISS fitting.  Each of the component gases is of UH grade that, I
believe translates in to:

Nitrogen:

02 < 1ppm
H20       < 3ppm
THC      < 0.5ppm

Helium:

02 < 1ppm
H20       < 2ppm
THC      < 0.5ppm

After a cylinder change, we do a He leak check of the purge gas
following each cylinder change.  I think that we are currently using 30
purge cycles both pre- and post-purge ... it sounds as if that should be
bumped up.  While I believe that we have hastelloy running between
cabinet and tool, I believe that the components in the panel are all SS
... but I believe are electopolished to

We have a manifolded two-cylinder (plus purge) cabinet that supplies an
epi reactor.  It is not uncommon to use a 60 pound cylinder of HCl in a
period of 1-2 weeks ... so, we unfortunately, have a number of chances
for problems each year.

Thanks again for all of your input,

John