[labnetwork] Anhydrous HCl after it escapes ...

Tom Britton tbritton at criticalsystemsinc.com
Sun Jun 8 16:35:28 EDT 2014

Hi John,

Based on what you wrote below, we would recommend changing the pre and post purge cycles to 60 from a safety standpoint; 30 is not enough. 50 is recommended on all HPM's for safety reasons, and from a quality standpoint on post cylinder change purge cycles you want to make sure any residual atmosphere is gone, therefore 60 is the standard Troy used at ON Semi for the post purge on all corrosives. He also recommend you look at the heel weights (what's left in the cylinder) as sometimes running the bottles too low can cause issues. If you're unsure of what the heel weight should be, ask the gas supplier. Typically 10% is a good number, so on a 60 lb cylinder most manufacturers would recommend changing the cylinder at 6 lbs remaining in the cylinder, but it's common to increase the heel if contamination occurs at the pigtail connection. For HCl, HBR and DCS it is not uncommon to increase the heel from 10% to 15% just to alleviate contamination issues.

Hope this helps. Feel free to call us if you want to discuss this further in depth.

Enjoy the day.

Thank you!

Tom Britton
Director of Sales