[labnetwork] Anhydrous HCl after it escapes ...

Weaver, John R jrweaver at purdue.edu
Mon Jun 9 08:43:35 EDT 2014

John -
I've had experiences (certainly plural :)) with both external and internal leaks. For an internal leak, where moisture has gained access to the piping, I have always replaced the piping components up to the point where the leak was blocked - a valve, etc. I use valves with Hastelloy wetted surfaces (sometimes called Hastelloy trim), which is not impervious to HCl corrosion but certainly holds up better.
For external leaks, the key is to neutralize the surfaces as quickly as possible. In one instance we had to replace many components because we didn't neutralize the surfaces more quickly. A mild base works well for neutralization - something with a pH in the 9 range. Then a thorough rinse to remove any salts is necessary.
We run all of the gas cabinet exhausts for chloride gas cabinets through our plastic exhaust system, so we don't have to worry about exhaust. If you use a metal exhaust on the gas cabinet where the leak occurred, I'd carefully inspect the exhaust for a month or two after the incident.
I hope this helps.
John

John R. Weaver
Facility Manager