[labnetwork] Anhydrous HCl

Bob Hamilton roberthamilton at berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 10 11:49:42 EDT 2014

Lab Network Colleagues,

The thread about HCl corrosion comes at a timely time for the Berkeley
NanoLab as we are about to commission an epi system.

As noted by others the issue with chlorine corrosion of ferrous metals
and nickel involves water vapor as a contaminant. The combination
results in incipient chlorine corrosion, an endless cycle of corrosion
because of the chemistry involved. Iron reacts with chlorine to form a
chloride which in turn reacts with water to form an oxide thus releasing
the Cl- to continue the corrosion of new metal. Once this cycle begins
the only way to stop it is to remove the surfaces involved. I have heard
some metallurgist use the term "cancering" to describe this corrosion.

At Berkeley we had good luck with our acid gas plumbing which was
typically done in 316 and 321 SS components and tubing. I attribute our
success to a policy of never intervening in an acid gas line without a
24 hour N2 purge before when possible and a 24 hours purge after
intervention. We also took steps to flow N2 through pigtails to our CGA
and later our DISS cylinder connections when changing gas cylinders.
DISS crush gaskets were inspected at every cylinder change. Perhaps a
quirk, it was my policy to deliver the DISS crush gaskets to the lab
director for inspection, good third-party verification; perhaps like a
cat delivering the dead mouse. We also coupon, i.e. saw open, fittings
and valves when we modify a gas delivery line to see if we have issues.

Now, with more modern purge panels we've obviated the 24 hour policy.
It's worth the time and effort to do extensive purge cycles when dealing
with the acid gases. We currently use 50 pump/purges which take about an
hour to complete. Still, one cannot completely replace time by purge.

Some years ago I heard a presentation which noted the use of 317L SS
tubing for chlorine and HCl delivery. This is a molybdenum-containing SS
alloy. We experimented with oribtially welding 317 to 316 and 321. A
third-party verified weld integrity. Regrettably, fittings for purge
panels and connections are not made in 317 so this has to be considered
before using 317.

I suspect there is some variance in experience with Cl2 and HCl delivery
because gas purity varies by grade and supplier. I have no experience
with using cartridge purifiers to clean up an acid gas (we do use N2 and
H2 purifiers in selected applications). One would guess these would
reduce corrosion and may prove cost effective by permitting a slightly
lower grade of gas. Perhaps someone on "the list" can share experience
about their experience with purifiers?

Regards,
Bob Hamilton

--