[labnetwork] Anhydrous HCl after it escapes ...

Tom Britton tbritton at criticalsystemsinc.com
Wed Jun 11 12:20:27 EDT 2014

Hi John,

I'm glad that you found the source of the leak. Any time a system is compromised it causes huge issues with down time and cost of repair. As you are probably aware, your gas line is most likely trashed to the tool and needs to be replaced to the tool. Don't just replace the panel and run the gas again, as corrosion spreads once it starts. Your gas cabinet vendor should be able to get you a new panel, hopefully quickly, so you're not down for an excessive time.

In reading what you wrote about leak checking after install, this shouldn't be necessary. The major Fabs don't do this as the downtime and cost would be enormous. The initial installation by your mechanical contactor includes a helium leak check through the cabinet to the tool, and if you're performing a cylinder leak check after every bottle change, you should be fine from a leak check perspective. Instead focus on keeping the gas dry. It is well documented that HCL, and most other corrosives, in the gaseous form, can run for years in stainless steel lines with no issues, but as soon as there is the slightest trace of moisture, game over. It's my guess, that when you send this panel back to the gas cabinet supplier, you're probably going to hear that the valve corroded through where you found the leak.

The major points for using any corrosive gas are:

1.      Helium leak check the connection after every cylinder change prior to the introduction of process gas. We advise using a "He/Inert Gas" blend for your purge gas, as you can use the purge gas to helium leak test the connection.

2.      Always use DISS fittings for both the process gas and the purge gas. Not only do they provide a higher level of leak integrity and purity over a CGA, but one is less likely to introduce a lower purity purge gas by mistake than if the connection has a standard 580 CGA on it.

3.      Purge Gas Purifier - We highly recommend a purge gas purifier for all mineral acid gases. Granted, your cylinder costs $1200, but it's cheap insurance and it will last a very long time.

4.      Trickle Purge Valve - check to make you have a Trickle Purge Valve in your purge line and that it's open during bottle changes. This does a good job of keeping atmosphere from getting into the gas line during the physical changing of the bottle.

5.      Cycle Purges - 30 is not enough. Set your purge cycles at 60 for both pre and post purge. The pre-purge is for the safety of the operators, and does a better job of scrubbing the inside of the tubing and components of the HCl, so any atmospheric moisture that gets past the trickle purge doesn't react. The post purge is to dry the inside of the gas line of the tube and components before the HCl is reintroduced into the system. Any less and there is a chance that residual moisture will remain, and once the HCl gas hits it, the corrosion will start and it's a matter of time before you see the effects.

I was talking with Troy on this and he ran his HCl at ON Semi for over 10 years using the above practice, and some of their systems sat idle for quite some time between quartz cleaning steps on seldom used tools. I also talk with a lot of gas systems managers in my travels and this is a fairly common way that the production Fabs keep their corrosive systems running and the problems at bay.

Hope this helps. See you on Sunday.

Tom

Tom Britton
Director of Sales