[labnetwork] Fwd: Interlock Boxes

Todd Merport merport at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 12:36:04 EDT 2014

I hope this is useful.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Todd Merport <merport at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: [labnetwork] Interlock Boxes
To: Shivakumar Bhaskaran <sbhas at uchicago.edu>

Here are some user account issues that we had in the Berkeley Microlab
( I'm not sure if they are still relevant to the Marvel Nanolab in
2014).

The Marvell Nanolab maintains it's own user database for the following
reasons:  Note, the Nanolab network is administered by the EECS
department.

a) The EECS departmental database does not allow account creation of
users from other departments without a monthly fee (so members would
be billed for two departments in that case).

b) The EECS department doesn't want non paying customers using their network.

c) The campus database does not allow outside industry members to
acquire an account without legalese that industry members find
unacceptable.

d) Guest users require limited access to layout conversion software (
for mask making) or view only privileges of equipment maintenance,
process monitoring, and other database tables. So paying a network
access fee is out of the question.

Todd Merport
(formerly of the Microlab/Nanolab)

P.S. A web based interlock system used in some rooms by the Microlab
was from WebRelay
http://www.controlbyweb.com/webrelay/