[labnetwork] Experience with cart-mounted RGA systems?

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Fri Oct 10 12:08:15 EDT 2014

Hello Labnetwork Community:

We are exploring options for portable Residual Gas Analyzer (RGA)
systems that are sufficiently flexible and portable to be used on a
variety of process tools.  In particular, we would like to be able to
use them on systems such as ALD, etch, and PECVD tools that are
typically comparatively low-vacuum systems often  pumped with only a dry
mechanical pump.  I trust that means that we need a system with it's own
on-board turbo and an appropriate inlet manifold to provide sufficiently
high vacuum for the RGA.

If you have experience with such a system, I'd appreciate learning more
about whether your system is a useful diagnostic tool on a variety of
systems, whether it is reasonably robust, easy to use, etc.  Also, most
RGAs typically offer the ability to measure masses up to 100 AMU with
often the option to measure up to 200 or 300 AMU.  For general vacuum
"finger printing" is there added value in being able to measure higher
than 100 AMU?  If you've tried this approach and found that it did not
deliver the information that you hoped to learn, I'd be interested in
that experience as well.  Are there other approaches to tracking the
health of vacuum chambers that we should be investigating?

Thanks for your consideration,

John
Stanford Nanofabrication Facility