[labnetwork] Experiences with tram close to cleanroom facility?

bryan cord bcord at umn.edu
Wed Sep 10 10:50:24 EDT 2014

Hi Leif,

Our new clean room at U of Minnesota sits a few hundred feet from the
city's light rail (also an electric surface train).  We see almost no
measurable noise from the trains on our SEM or e-beam litho units, but
if it becomes an issue for you the Lindgren active cancellation system
Richard suggested was an easy retrofit to our lab, so you could always
add it later if you're getting noise.  We installed one for an unrelated
issue (noise from the building elevator) and it works perfectly and
requires basically no maintenance.

Cheers,

-bryan

On 9/9/2014 9:20 AM, Leif Johansen wrote:

> Dear all network members,
>
> The City of Copenhagen is currently in the process of scheduling the
> construction of an electrically driven tram which may run
> approximately 80 feet (ca. 25 meters) past our cleanroom facility.
> There will even be a stop right outside on the road next to us -- i.e.
> many accelerations and decelerations which will emit rather large
> magnetic fields.
>
> Naturally, we are slightly concerned about maintaining operations --
> especially of our e-beam writer and SEM equipment. Are any of the lab
> members facing similar challenges and, if so, how do you tackle them?
> Is noise cancellation a viable option with large transient magnetic
> fields?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Leif
>
> *Leif S. Johansen ***