[labnetwork] new materials for our sputter tool

JR Gaines jrg at lesker.com
Wed Apr 1 14:04:37 EDT 2015

Hello Thomas,

Our Rob Belan, who you will meet next week, provided the following comments:

"Red flags galore.  The most problematic is the ZnS - which will decompose during sputtering and will leave traces of sulfur throughout the system.  Sulfur will contaminate  most subsequent films as it only needs to get to about 80C before it vaporizes in sufficient quantities to contaminate films.  Fine particulate can be generated from a ZnS deposition as well and that is very hard to completely remove from a vacuum system.  ZnS and most sulfides should only be run in systems that are dedicated to such films.

Fluorides in general are fairly stable - I have no direct experience with YF3.

Yttrium Oxide should be OK and I have sputtered this material in the superconductor days."

Looks like you have also received some warnings from others on the ZnS.

See you next week.

J.R.

JR Gaines | Technical Director | Tel: +1 (412) 896-8402 | Cell: +1 (614) 446-2202 | Fax: +1 (412) 872-5046 | Email: jrg at lesker.com | http://www.lesker.com

If this email is transmitted to you in error, please notify me, and then delete this email and all copies. If this email is sent for legal or business purposes, (a) this email and its content or attachments may include confidential and/or proprietary information of Kurt J. Lesker Company, in which case all rights to that information are reserved by the Company, and (b) your right and authorization to retain, and use, this information is limited to the purpose(s)expressly stated in, or reasonably implied by, this email. Any questions should be directed to me. Thank you.