[labnetwork] Nitrile/Latex Gloves

Shivakumar Bhaskaran sbhas at uchicago.edu
Fri Aug 7 10:12:17 EDT 2015

Hi All,

Recently I had issues with the Nitrile gloves in our cleanroom and I was exploring options to get a better one, its seems that Nitrile gloves are not good with acetone .It has high preamble rate than latex gloves. Based on my internet research Nitrile gloves are mostly used in the cleanroom, especially in semiconductor/medical production.

Major of my users do use the Acetone and there is always a chance that they will get in contact with acetone, especially when they clean the spinner with acetone. And I am concerned because of this. I want to have your opinion regarding this before I look into my options.

My vendor who supplies gloves recommends double donning the nitrile gloves, so that if the user gets in contact with acetone/solvents they immediately remove the top gloves if exposed to acetone. Else wearing the nitrile glove first and a latex over.

-Thanks
-Shiva

Shivakumar Bhaskaran, Ph.D.
Searle CleanRoom Manager