[labnetwork] Contamination control in PVD systems

Noah Clay nclay at seas.upenn.edu
Sun Feb 1 09:13:04 EST 2015

Carsen,

Here are a few guidelines that have worked over the years:

1. Don't mix metals, polymers and dielectrics in thermal and/or e-beam evaporators.  Holding the line on this is tough, but I've always tried to minimize cross contamination.

2. Disallow materials containing: Zn, P and As.  Weird PVD requests emerge all of the time and it's good to maintain an "anything goes" system, but stay away from the above.

3. Keep one e-beam system free of magnetic materials (even Ni).  The condensed matter physicists will be happy.

4. Don't go cheap on sputtering system hardware.  To the extent reasonable, keep separate gun hardware for each target or class of materials.

5. Bead blast shields, gun hardware, etc. routinely...as for the frequency, it should be based on use, not time, unless your use is very steady.

6. Remove and clean any e-beam hearths at least once each year.

7. Every now and then, I cave in on a user's request to evaporate a material that I'm uncomfortable with...we let them run and then change shielding immediately after they are done. Sometimes we reserve a system for them for 1 to 2 days, line the walls with UHV foil and do a full tear down when they're done.  As a rule, we RGA fingerprint the system before and after and try to align this with routine maintenance.

8. Staff-maintained loadlocked systems are the best for contamination control.  At 3am on Sunday morning, for all I know, someone is evaporating radioactive peanut butter.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Nosh