[labnetwork] Contamination control in PVD systems

Mark Walters, Ph.D. mark.walters at duke.edu
Tue Feb 3 18:33:44 EST 2015

Related to this topic - does anyone in this group have systems or experience with depositing chalcogenide films (containing Te, Se, S, Sn, etc) and flourides (e.g., MgF2)?  These are the types of materials we won't allow in our current systems, but given the high level of interest from several groups at Duke University, we are thinking about acquiring an RF sputter system dedicated for these films.  I'm aware that we'll need to consider special pump packages and possibly chamber materials, but any experience from this group would be helpful.  We're also wondering if it's even possible to combine all these "nasty" materials in one system, or will they just tend to contaminate each other and we end up with poor films.

As far as our current systems go, at the Duke University SMIF we keep a list of allowable materials for each of our evaporators and sputter systems.   If a user wants to deposit a material that is not on the list, they submit a "New Material Request" form, and this is reviewed by myself and the "major" faculty users of the systems.  In general, we dedicate one e-beam evaporator for metals approved for semiconductor processing (plus gold), and a second e-beam/thermal evaporator for these types of metals, plus a few oxides, and "odd" requests that we're comfortable won't mess up our system.  Our DC sputter system is dedicated for approved metals, and our RF sputter system is dedicated for approved dielectrics.

Thanks,
Mark D. Walters, Ph.D.
Director, Shared Materials Instrumentation Facility (SMIF)
Duke University
Box 90271
Durham, NC 27708-0271
http://smif.lab.duke.edu