[labnetwork] Humidification System Design

Iulian Codreanu codreanu at udel.edu
Wed Feb 4 20:12:24 EST 2015

John,

It is a terrible idea and I wonder why they would want to do that.  A
number of fabs across the country (including mine) decided that RO water
was not adequate to generate the cleanroom humidification steam so they use
DI water instead. Close attention must be paid to the materials used for
the piping carrying the "clean" water, steam generation, steam "transport",
steam dispersion, steam condensate collection and drainage.

Iulian

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 5:22 PM, John Nicholson <thejohnnicholson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>        We are currently in a design review process for a new class 1000
> clean room on campus and the design architects have come up with a scheme
> that mixes RO steam with the existing building steam (containing softeners
> and whatever minerals the local city water has) to humidify the clean room.
> I am of the opinion this is a bad idea. Your opinions would be greatly
> appreciated as well as references to any design standards (ASHRAE?) you may
> know of for this type of humidification system.
>
> Regards,
> John
>
> --
> John Nicholson
> Nanofabrication Laboratories Manager
> MassNanoTech Nanofabrication Facility
> Conte Center for Polymer Research, Rm. B111
> University of Massachusetts Amherst
> 120 Governor's Drive
> Amherst,MA 01003-9305
> Phone: 413-545-2772