[labnetwork] Seismic Sensors

Bill Flounders bill at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 13 17:15:05 EST 2015

Lab Network,
Many of you have toxic gas monitoring systems.
Many of these systems have an integrated seismic sensor.
The sensor is usually a small box mounted on the wall and
located in the basement of your building.

I recall at a previous UGIM meeting a colleague telling me an
amusing story of placing a wrench on top of the sensor box,
activating the switch, unintentionally activating the toxic gas alarm
system and evacuating the entire building. I made a mental note...
but alas, forgot to post a sign on my own sensor.

A visiting campus facility engineer hung a tool bag on our sensor box
yesterday.
This test of our laboratory seismic sensor was a rousing success.
There is now a large sign posted adjacent to our seismic sensor box.
Caution    Vibration Sensitive    Do Not Touch   etc   etc
I encourage you to consider the same.
Happy New Year !

Bill Flounders
UC Berkeley Marvell NanoLab