[labnetwork] Chamber Cleaning With Gold Contamination

Kamal Yadav kamal.yadav at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 13:25:45 EDT 2015

Dear Mary,

Your response is extremely helpful. So Nitride coat in a gold chamber,
prior to device process in which gold is a threat can be done. I have
emailed you requesting more details on the steps followed to prove this.

For the anti-contamination efforts here at IIT Bombay, last year, I have
processed clean samples in different equipment, at different stages. New,
RCA cleaned, processed without gas/etc. Followed by SR-TXRF. But
the synchrotron based TXRF set up is in non-clean room, so after collecting
data from different equipment, I paused a bit cauz not sure if results
would be reliable.

But samples from gold contaminated, For Ex: Ti coated sample in gold
contaminated clearly shows peaks of Au, Zn, Cu at TXRF, while these peaks
are absent in non processed wafers or RCA cleaned wafers. In fact the
ICPCVD I am talking about also does not show any metal peaks for a oxide
coated sample in the ICPCVD, while gold pads are allowed in that equipment
parallely.

I am having little difficulty in quantifying the TXRF results mostly
because standards are needed to made in house and in class 10 or so
cleanroom, and our SR-TXRF is also situated in non clean room. I am trying
to figure out if our TXRF set up could lead to some reasonable conclusion
in the E10/E11 atoms/sq. cm. Metal contaminants could be minimal in non
clean room area and may be non clean room works.

This should help in structuring the anti contamination policy in more
optimized way, in fact that was the idea when we started this activity. But
it will take sometime.

Thanks a lot!

Kamal Yadav
Sr. Process Technologist