[labnetwork] Chamber Cleaning With Gold Contamination

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 8 14:39:22 EDT 2015

Hi Kamal --

At Stanford, we've been trying to evolve a materials policy that is more
accommodating of non-CMOS processing. Even our most die-hard electronics
researchers are demanding more flexible processing policies. We try to
take special processing requests on a case-by-case basis with the goal
of evolving our policies. The 3-tier system we have of clean (front end
CMOS), semiclean (backend CMOS) and gold (catch all for everything else,
with different classes of "gold") has served us well for many years, but
is overly simplistic. We have certainly stretched the definitions when
it comes to Litho, for example, where we don't have dedicated clean,
semiclean or gold tools. The approach we are trying to take now is to
assess where the real transfer risks are (i.e., wafer handling,
volatility, ion bombardment, etc.) and what kind of engineering controls
might mitigate them. In fact, this has been the underlying rationale for
our Litho policy -- contamination risk is minimized because there will
always be wet cleans before wafers undergo any high temp processing steps.

But back to your question. Our ICP PECVD system is defined as a
"flexible" or "all" system, which means that it can be used for
CMOS-clean processing, but also for processes that might otherwise be
classified as "gold" in our old nomenclature. By default, it is
non-CMOS, but can be considered "clean" once a short plasma clean and
coat process is performed. The rationale is that any potentially
contaminated films previously deposited are removed with the plasma
clean and any non-volatiles are covered up by the nitride precoat
process. It is also the responsibility of the user to perform this clean
and coat if he/she wants a CMOS-compatible process. This doesn't mean
that everything can be processed in this system, but would not currently
exclude wafers with gold pads.

Dr. Jim McVittie, our resident expert in many areas, especially plasma
processing, has described an experiment in which he placed a gold sample
in a PECVD system (our legacy STS dual frequency, non-ICP, dep system).
With an Ar plasma, he found gold deposited on an adjacent sample
(analyzed by TXRF). After doing a plasma clean and nitride coat, gold
was no longer detectable.  Argon sputter probably presents the
worst-case situation for carry-over -- most processes would be
deposition-only so that gold would be exposed to plasma for minimal
time.  This result makes us reasonably confident that our PECVD policy
is not damaging to the typical electronic devices processed in our lab.

We are also trying to evolve our policy with regard to ICP etchers. If
you or anyone else has guidelines that accommodate more materials but
without significant risk to CMOS devices, I'd really like to learn more.

Thanks,

Mary

--
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.