[labnetwork] Ni evaporation

Nathan Nelson - Fitzpatrick nnelsonfitzpatrick at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 23 09:18:42 EDT 2015

Hi Nava,

We have also experienced problems in our lab with Ni e-beam evaporation in VC or Al2O3 crucibles.  We found that the VC crucibles would break down after a few deposition cycles (and would “tarnish” the Ni melt) and the one time we tried Al2O3 as a crucible liner it broke immediately upon removal from our E-beam hearth.  We have settled on using Tungsten crucibles for our Ni e-beam evaporation.  We have not observed any notable problems with this process and our first W crucible lasted for over two years before we needed to retire it.

Best regards,
  -Nathan
--
Nathan Nelson-Fitzpatrick  PhD