[labnetwork] Ni evaporation

Morrison, Richard H., Jr. rmorrison at draper.com
Mon Mar 23 13:42:52 EDT 2015

Hi,

Here is info from Draper laboratory PVD engineer, Joseph Louis:

We used a FABMATE crucible from Lesker because of its surface properties:

http://www.lesker.com/newweb/evaporation_sources/ebeam_crucibles_fabmate.cfm?pgid=0

Even with its property benefits, one can really only use it for one, maybe two runs before it cracks (especially for the thick runs we were attempting).

I believe I did staggered pre-melting for this material, that is, one row of pellets, melt, second row of pellets, melt and actual run. If I recall correctly, when I tried any more than that I got voids in the melt and/or early cracking.

One process issue of note is stress especially for thicker films (e.g. 1[um]+). Lower dep rates seemed to help (~0.5[ang/sec]) but a better method is Ion Assisted Deposition if the system is capable.

Rick

Draper Laboratory
Principal  Member of the Technical Staff
Group Leader Microfabrication Operations
555 Technology Square
Cambridge Ma, 02139-3563

www.draper.com
rmorrison at draper.com