[labnetwork] Nanostrip

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Mon May 25 17:25:57 EDT 2015

Dear Matthieu --

When the Stanford Nanofab underwent renovations in 2012, the Stanford
Fire Marshall gave us a copy of a report from 1993 which was a
comprehensive code study plan for the proposed Annex to our building.
It's a long document, but in it, there was a question from the Fire
Marshall (the County FM, I believe) as to whether piranha should be
considered a Class 3 oxidizer, subject to the restriction of a four
pound maximum limit in open use (i.e., much less than used in a piranha
bath.)  Although it is common practice to use piranha in open baths with
appropriate engineering controls, I gather that the code analysis to
substantiate its safe use in this manner was not easy to find.  So
Stanford commissioned a third-party consultant, specializing in
environmental safety, to examine this.

The consultant did an analysis of the chemistry of piranha clean
solutions at temperature and concluded that the oxidizing hazard (as
measured by peroxide concentration) presented was actually much less
than 30% hydrogen peroxide solution which is considered a Class 2
oxidizer.  So, now in our Chemtracker database, piranha is now listed as
a Class 2 oxidizer.  Nanostrip is no longer in the database, but was
also classified as a Class 2 oxidizer for the same reasons.

We have also run into limits on storage.  If you have a sprinklered
storage area, you local codes might be more generous with storage limits.

Mary

--
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.
Stanford Nanofabrication Facility