[labnetwork] How do you handle PDMS in a cleanroom environment?

Vito Logiudice vito.logiudice at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 25 11:31:40 EST 2015

Hi Leif,

Based on some past experience with PDMS I agree with the concerns expressed by your engineers. If PDMS is handled carefully and conscientiously by your end users then possible damage can be contained or at least limited should it come into contact with any of your equipment. The problem many of us face in an academic setting however is the vast diversity of people whom use our facilities. A minority of these individuals tend to be inexperienced/disorganized/messy/self-absorbed and it is these people whom will possibly wreak havoc should you allow them to work with PDMS in your cleanroom. I recall slipping on a large glob of uncured PDMS that had been dropped on the floor of the cleanroom by one of these “challenging users" at another site.

Another concern may be the outgassing of silicone over time and its possible effects on other people’s work. I’m not an expert in this particular field but for instance, the use of silicone caulking was strictly forbidden during the construction of our cleanroom here. Hopefully Jack Paul of HDR Architecture will be able to share some insights in this regard (HDR designed our facility).

For what it’s worth we do not currently allow PDMS in the cleanroom at all. Should a well-justified argument for introducing it be made in the future, I would likely insist on only allowing cured PDMS in the cleanroom and only in well-defined, possibly isolated, areas. Uncured work would only be permitted in a satellite (non-cleanroom) lab.

Best regards,
Vito
--
Vito Logiudice  P.Eng.