[labnetwork] Suggestions for interlocking fume hoods

Michael Khbeis khbeis at uw.edu
Wed Sep 16 15:16:30 EDT 2015

Vito,

We interlocked the lid sensor and/or vacuum for spinners in hood. We did not interlock the benches for fear of something needing to be rinsed in an emergency etc. What we did instead is link a touch screen interface where users tap their name to log in/out of the wet process area. We created several virtual benches in WebCORAL that are enabled when a user logs in via either the tap interface or WebCORAL.  Since nothing is physically interlocked, it is an honor system backed by camera footage and policing by cleanroom staff.

Let me know if you need more specifics about implementation.

Best,

Dr. Michael Khbeis
Associate Director, Washington Nanofabrication Facility (WNF)
National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network (NNIN)
University of Washington
Fluke Hall, Box 352143
(O) 206.543.5101
(F) 206.221.1681