[labnetwork] Suggestions for interlocking fume hoods

Dennis Schweiger schweig at umich.edu
Wed Sep 16 16:18:17 EDT 2015

Vito,

here at UofMichigan, we've done a couple of things with the benches, and
the interlocking of them.

1) On some of the newer (vintage 2008 and newer), we're interlocking the
E-stop control signal of the bench as part of our tool control network.
This circuit shunts the electronics of the benches, but does not impact the
QDR bath, spray nozzle, or sink/faucet.

2) On all of the older vintage benches, it's simply an honor system.

3)  All of the benches have a stack-lite assembly (green lamp, see picture)
that lets us see from the cleanroom, or outside hallways, if the bench has
been enabled by a user.  You shouldn't be at the bench unless the light is
green.  This is something we've just adopted in the last 6-8 months, so
we're still doing some training on it.

4) In addition to the green lamp mentioned above, each primary bench in the
process bay has a second lamp on the stack that is amber.  This amber lamp
is lit whenever our body count drops to less than three people.  It's part
of our "single user alert" system that we implemented as part of a safety
program.  This "helps" to alert the users that they're getting close to
that "no user can process alone in a bench" criteria, since our fab area is
so spread out.  Again, this is an honor system, but it's worked well so far.

Dennis Schweiger
University of Michigan/LNF

734.647.2055 Ofc

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Vito Logiudice <vito.logiudice at uwaterloo.ca