[labnetwork] Cameras in cleanroom

Dennis Schweiger schweig at umich.edu
Fri Sep 18 16:14:05 EDT 2015

Stuart,

here at UofMichigan, we just went through a large camera upgrade project.
We can now see about 95% of the physical space (up from about 30%).  All of
the cameras are high resolution (5MP), and we have enough storage to save
about 7 days worth of video (we're looking at doubling that capacity).
Some of the cameras use a "warping" technology to allow us to see a larger
360 degree area.  The UofM is pretty particular about what we can save, and
who has access to the "film", so there were some hoops to jump through for
that.  We use the system to look for the "wild west" operators that we
occasionally get in the off-hours.  So far, it's been pretty handy in
correcting bad behavior, and in providing additional security.  There
hasn't been much complaining about the additional video supervision.  It's
an expensive facility, we need to protect it, and the individuals working
inside.

Like other facilities, we have a monitor inside of the clean room that
displays sixteen of the most important feeds from within the cleanroom.
This augments the "single user alert" system we've installed as part of the
notification at the wet benches.

One thing I need to mention though is that about a year ago, we started
implementing a name tag program that allows us to install name tags on the
backs of the cleanroom suits.  These back tags are in addition to the usual
name badges that all users are required to wear on the front of their
suit.  A revision to that policy, adopted about 6 months ago, is that
anyone processing between 6PM and 6AM is required to wear a nametag on the
back of their suit.  This makes identification on the cameras much easier,
and it's easy to cross reference access activity with the saved video.
I've attached a picture of the back tag in case you were curious as to what
it looked like.  Getting our clean room suit supplier on board was probably
the most difficult part of the task, second only to deciding how we were
going to do it.

Dennis Schweiger
University of Michigan/LNF

734.647.2055 Ofc