[labnetwork] Cameras in cleanroom

Vito Logiudice vito.logiudice at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Sep 21 10:12:38 EDT 2015

Hi Stuart,

I will echo the many excellent responses here already and confirm that we’ve had *safety* cameras officially in place since we started operations in our new building in September 2014, but have also used them prior to that since 2011.

We worked with the university’s Privacy Officer as well as our Director of Police Services before proceeding to make sure we did not step on any sensitive toes. Video feeds may be viewed real-time at dedicated terminals (not web-enabled as our Privacy Officer was less than enthusiastic about this) and recordings are kept for two weeks but are only accessible when needed via campus police. Together we worked out a policy that was palatable to all. At UGIM 2012 which was hosted by our friends at UC Berkeley I was impressed with the live feeds sent to TV panels in and outside the cleanroom so we went ahead and copied the excellent idea here. Great for PR and also great for encouraging the buddy system since we’ve installed two panels in the cleanroom which are near equipment booking terminals: we encourage everyone to glance at these regularly to help out a peer in need in an emergency situation.

If it can help here are a couple of links to the relevant policies in place here:
https://fab.qnc.uwaterloo.ca/data/access/safety/tv-panels
https://fab.qnc.uwaterloo.ca/data/access/safety/video-recordings

Good luck,
Vito