[labnetwork] safety shower kit

Dennis Schweiger schweig at umich.edu
Tue Dec 6 07:13:11 EST 2016

Iulian.

good morning.  This is what we put together at UofMichigan.  It's a plastic
container that houses a variety of Tyvek suit sizes, some diposable paper
towels, scissors, and clear trash bags.  We figured we'd take the hit on
particle count for the cleanroom if we ever had to use this kit.   We keep
it on a shelf in our gown room.

Like everyone else, we hope that the chemical training we provide will keep
our users from ever having to use the shower or eyewash.  In my time here,
I know of only two instances where someone has used the shower.

As a side note, notice the safety/security tags that hold the lid closed.
These are the same tags our fire shop uses on the fire extinguishers around
campus.  We use them on this shower kit, and all of our HF kits.  It lets
us know if the "kit" has been opened/tampered with.  It keeps everything
secure, provides a deterrence to borrow something from the kit, and still
provides for easy access to the contents in the event they are needed. When
I went looking for something like this, I could only get them if I bought
them in lots of 1000 count.  I talked to our fire shop, and they were happy
to give me whatever we needed for our use as long as it wasn't the current
"FE year" color.

Dennis Schweiger
University of Michigan/LNF

734.647.2055 Ofc