[labnetwork] Wet chemicals after hours policy and emergency response

Nava Ariel Sternberg na2661 at columbia.edu
Wed Dec 7 08:56:42 EST 2016

Good morning all,

I know this has been discussed endlessly but due to the high importance of
the topic and the fact that we're on the verge of opening a renovated clean
room at CU I was hoping to perform a quick survey to get some helpful
feedback from this wonderful network. If I get many responses I can send a
summary of the results to the list.

1. What are the normal operating hours of the clean room? what is
considered "afterhours"?
2. Do you allow all wet chemical processing after hours? If not, what are
the processes which are not allowed after hours?
3. What are the conditions required in order to be able to do wet chemical
processing after hours? (e.g. buddy, certifications, special training?)
4. Who deals with chemical spills? (staff, EH&S, users themselves?)
5. Are HF spills treated by the same personnel?
6. What is the emergency response to a large spill afterhours? (let's
assume for simplicity with no people affected) Is the spill cleaned
immediately? Who gets called? Do you instruct the users to call 911 (or the
equivalent in a different country)?
7. Do you have staff coverage after hours? By actual presence/on-call?
8. Do you have EH&S support after hours? By actual presence/on-call?
9. How large is your clean room staff? (number of people)

I'd appreciate any response...

Thanks!

Nava

Nava Ariel-Sternberg, Ph.D.