[labnetwork] Wet chemicals after hours policy and emergency response

Bill Flounders bill at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 7 13:08:18 EST 2016

Yes, this has been an on-going/recurring topic.
Answers inserted below for UC Berkeley this time.
The number and range of these informal surveys is growing.

I propose/will investigate a UGIM website hosting 2-4 key topics
where results can be consolidated then reviewed at any time.
Goal is to decrease network traffic a bit by pulling out the recurring
items;
I do not mean to discourage discussion of these critical topics.
Sincerely,
Bill Flounders
UC Berkeley

Nava Ariel Sternberg wrote:
> Good morning all,
>
> I know this has been discussed endlessly but due to the high
> importance of the topic and the fact that we're on the verge of
> opening a renovated clean room at CU I was hoping to perform a quick
> survey to get some helpful feedback from this wonderful network. If I
> get many responses I can send a summary of the results to the list.
>
> 1. What are the normal operating hours of the clean room? what is
> considered "afterhours"?
Normal: Business days 7am-5pm. After hours: all other
> 2. Do you allow all wet chemical processing after hours? If not, what
> are the processes which are not allowed after hours?
All processes allowed at all hours. The Cardinal Rule: you may not be in
the clean room alone.
> 3. What are the conditions required in order to be able to do wet
> chemical processing after hours? (e.g. buddy, certifications, special
> training?)
You must be qualified on the equipment/process you are performing. You
may not be in the clean room alone.
> 4. Who deals with chemical spills? (staff, EH&S, users themselves?)
Researchers are trained to wipe up small spills; researchers are trained
to contain large spills.
Staff who have received campus defined Hazardous Materials Spill
Response Training clean up large spills.
> 5. Are HF spills treated by the same personnel?
Yes.
> 6. What is the emergency response to a large spill afterhours? (let's
> assume for simplicity with no people affected) Is the spill cleaned
> immediately? Who gets called? Do you instruct the users to call 911
> (or the equivalent in a different country)?
For non-injury spills: Researchers are trained to contain if able;
evacuate if fuming; call staff.
For all injury or life threatening situation: call 911; call staff as
soon as able
> 7. Do you have staff coverage after hours? By actual presence/on-call?
On call
> 8. Do you have EH&S support after hours? By actual presence/on-call?
On call. Researchers contact staff. Staff contact EH&S if needed
> 9. How large is your clean room staff? (number of people)
25: 18 technical (13 equip/facility; 5 process). 7 (computer, admin,
finance, purchase)