[labnetwork] Etching NbSe2

Mark Morgan mmorgan3 at uw.edu
Thu Feb 25 19:03:40 EST 2016

Greetings Friends and Neighbors,

i have a user here at the Washington Nanofabrication Facility desirous of etching NbSe2 in our Flourine ICP system. I am seeking info/experience/suggestions regarding this activity and Selenium with respect to hazards and equipment contamination concerns. There is some info in the literature about RIE of this material via CF4 but i’m not seeing anything regarding hazards to equipment (especially equipment geared to many different users and projects…) and personnel.

Probable etch products are SeF6 and NbF5(?)- The SeF6 appears to be a nasty actor but perhaps proper post-process pumping and purging (mmmm… alliteration!) would take care of that….

Thank you so much for the help and guidance.

Best Regards

Mark

Mark D. Morgan
Research Engineer, Washington Nanofabrication Facility (WNF)
National Nanotechnology Coordinated Infrastructure (NNCI)
University of Washington
Fluke Hall 132, Box 352143
(206) 221-6349
mmorgan3 at uw.edu <mailto:mmorgan3 at uw.edu>