[labnetwork] PDMS in sputtering tool

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Sat Jun 18 10:55:36 EDT 2016

Hi Julia!

Great catching up with you at UGIM!

Just a few, quite possibly unrelated, comments about PDMS (which is one
of my favorite materials...)  Most people use Sylgard 184. This is what
is used in most literature references and it is handy because it
self-cures.  At SNF, we recommend using Sylgard 182 because this does
not self-cure (well, actually it eventually does, if you leave it long
enough.)  There are several advantages:

1.  Spin coating.  Because it self-cures, the viscosity of 184 is said
to double about every hour or so (to my recollection.)  The
non-self-curing 182 allows for a more consistent/longer working time, if
thickness control is an issue for your experiment.

2.  Even if you bake Sylgard 184 for the recommended time, it will
continue curing.  For researchers who are doing microcontact printing or
have other applications where small changes in elasticity, surface
energy, etc. will matter, this could be very important.  I haven't
experienced this myself, but was told by one of our research groups that
their experimental results experienced a drift over the course of a
month when they used 184, but that they had day-to-day consistency when
using 182.

3.  The Sylgard 182 components come in jars.  I can use disposable
syringes to extract and meter out exactly what I want, whereas the last
time I purchased Sylgard 184, it came in a wacky, dual-syringe dispenser.

One other caveat about the Sylgard products:  these are potting agents,
not precision-engineered materials.  There's a lot of batch to batch
variability and limited shelf life -- and the main issue is variability
in curing.  Even really old, out of date stuff will work great if all
you want to do is to cast a structure.  But researchers requiring a
higher degree of consistency should be aware that they will need to
control for or account for this variability.

But getting back to your question about PDMS...  Whether 182 or 184 is
used, it would be best to make sure it is thoroughly baked/cured before
metal deposition.  It would also be good to make sure your researchers
use fresh/non-expired material, or bake the living heck out of it if it
is expired (though at $80/kg, there should be almost no excuse for
keeping old stuff). Both 182 an 184 also have a high thermal expansion
coefficient, so keeping deposition temperatures low is important to
prevent buckling of the films.

Mary

--
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.