[labnetwork] Exhaust of corrosive chemical storage cabinets

Peter J Duda III duda at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 21 13:53:24 EST 2016

Jim
Santa Clara developed what is now known as the Toxic Gas Ordinance way back in 1988 as a response to the growing number of semiconductor facilities in that area.  It has since been modified and is mostly used as the model for the Universal Fire Code.  While no source is definitive and local codes vary - I have found this document:
http://www.sbaypipe.org/assets/pdf/TGO_Toxic_Brochure_single%20pages_0519.pdf
to be extremely helpful in providing general guidance regarding most standard semiconductor gases.  Not only does it cover generally where TGO varies from the model fire code - There are a lot of good definitions, the general requirements are very easy to follow and the table of gases provides easy access to classifications and IDLH, etc.   Again - one needs to cross check against your local requirements, but a 20 minute read can give you an abundance of info regarding what is required throughout much of the US.
Specifically to your question - you can see under the general requirements in the "Exhaust Ventilation System" which class of gasses are required to be "treated" to ½ IDLH.  Under the TGO Synopsis you can see under bullet
"S" what is involved in a "treatment system".  I leave it to you to interpret those for your specific application and again - to cross check those requirements against local codes.

Thanks
Peter J Duda
Technical Director, Pritzker Nanofabrication Facility
Institute for Molecular Engineering
University of Chicago
5640 South Ellis Avenue
ERC LL178