[labnetwork] DC sputtering Zr

Vlahakis, James James.Vlahakis at tufts.edu
Mon Sep 26 10:08:47 EDT 2016

Hi everyone, one of our users here at the Tufts Micro/Nano Fab would like to DC sputter Zirconium. We have two capable instruments -

1.       Our "dirty" sputter tool - allowed materials are Cr, Au, Cu, Ti, Ag, Zn, Al, ITO, Ge and various (fully cured) polymers that are popular with our biomedical users

2.       Our "clean" sputter tool which has a more restrictive material list and is typically used for reactive and RF sputtering.

I'm inclined to allow Zr sputtering in our dirty tool but hope to hear others' experience before making a decision. Are there special considerations? Contamination concerns?

Thanks for your help

jim