[labnetwork] Etching Alumina (ALD) using BCl3

Jugessur, Aju S aju-jugessur at uiowa.edu
Tue Apr 18 10:54:34 EDT 2017

Hi,

Can anyone offer some advice on Alumina etch?

We do have BCl3/Cl2/O2 etch on our Oxford PlasmaPro.
We plan to use S1818 as the mask as we intend etching less than 30 nm of the Alumina: will this work? I am not sure what is the etch selectivity.
We may also use an intermediate metal mask. I am aware that ChF3 and C4F8 also etches Alumina.

Can anyone advise us on this process and a benchmark recipe will help?

Also, the tool is currently used for III-V etching. Can we safely use the tool to etch Alumina without the risk of process contamination, assuming we do a clean up step each time?

Thanks
Regards
Aju

Aju Jugessur Ph.D.
Director, University of Iowa Microfabrication Facility
Professor (Adj.), Physics and Astronomy
OSTC, Iowa Advanced Technology Labs
University of Iowa

205 N. Madison St