[labnetwork] Etching Alumina (ALD) using BCl3

Tony Whipple whipp003 at umn.edu
Tue Apr 18 12:48:29 EDT 2017

Hello Aji;

We etch ALD Alumina film with our Oxford system which is patterned by
resist.
Since most our films are thin we do not have much problem with
selectivity to resist
which is about 1:1 for those films.

The recipe we use is:
BCl3 30 sccm
ICP 625 W
RF  50 W
2 mtorr

We get ~ 650 Ang/ min rate for both the Alumina film and resist. The
recipe has not
been optimized but should be. One of the items that we should work on is
to have
the recipe etch slower. Our users have said it etches too fast.  We have
since looked at
reducing the RF platten /chuck power while keeping the ICP power the
same and this
helps in lowering the etch rate.

Regards, Tony W.