[labnetwork] KOH etch of silicon

Matthias Pleil mpleil at unm.edu
Fri Aug 11 18:40:56 EDT 2017

Hello Mathilde,

We use KOH in a heated bath to etch crystalline silicon.  Etch rates vary depending on concentration and temperature.  We add a small amount of IPA for smoother etching (results in less cavitation - smaller bubbles).

We dilute 45% KOH by weight down to about 25% or so - it actually etches faster at the lower concentration.  We start at approximately 100-105C at the start and then reduce down to 85C at the end (we etch through the wafer to a silicon nitride membrane on the opposite, front side, of the wafer)  Temperature reduction is to reduce the cavitation effects and the chance of "blowing" the membrane.  KOH can be purchased at a very pure level - it is the bath you put it in which could be an issue.  I've included an image or our device, a basic pressure sensor we use to teach MEMS fabrication.

[cid:ca080029-6a86-4b61-9b30-1067e3167748]

Kind Regards,

Matthias Pleil, Ph.D.
Research Professor & Lecturer III of Mech. Eng - UNM
UNM MTTC Cleanroom Manager
PI - Southwest Center for Microsystems Education
scme-nm.org
(505)272-7157