[labnetwork] Two SEM/EBLs set up in the same room : comments

Michael Rooks michael.rooks at yale.edu
Tue Dec 19 17:12:02 EST 2017

When you say "jagged edges pictures", I take that to mean that there is
considerable vibration and/or acoustical noise in the cleanroom. It is
foolish to throw away the SEM's resolution just so it can be inside a
cleanroom. Both viewing resolution and e-beam writing resolution will
suffer. I suggest you put the SEM on a firm basement or bedrock floor. I
may get some flak for saying this, but: you don't need a cleanroom for
e-beam writing, because you are not (presumably) printing integrated
circuits. Low vibration should be a higher priority than convenience and
particle counts. Around here we give the students the choice of doing
the spinning and developing in a cleanroom, or in a non-clean fume hood.

If the manufacturer passes the site while you can see vibration in the
old SEM, you should find a better manufacturer.

Michael Rooks
Yale Institute of Nanoscience and Quantum Engineering
nano.yale.edu <http://nano.yale.edu>