[labnetwork] "yellow" film for windows

Luciani, Vincent (Fed) Vincent.Luciani at nist.gov
Mon Feb 13 09:14:15 EST 2017

Good Morning Dennis,

We also went through this process and I learned quite a bit about “architectural” films and coating versus “photographic” films and coatings.   After lots of testing we settled on a photographic darkroom film that had a cutoff wavelength of 500 nm.   610 nm and 625 nm are available as well.  The chart and link below my signature provide more detailed information.

The chart below shows various darkroom films.  We opted for the Yellow Gold 500.  The film comes in rolls and is non-adhesive.  We hired a local window tinting company to strip off any architectural films and attach the YG10 with about 4 mm wide double stick tape.  They did a great job, no wrinkles.  At first I thought a non-adhesive film was a disadvantage but I changed my mind.  A couple experts have told me that the best of films can age and eventually may start leaking UV and need replacing, so the easily removable approach sounded good.  Our films are about 4 years old and are not leaking yet but we stay vigilant.
.
Best,
Vince

Vincent K. Luciani
NanoFab Manager
Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology<http://www.cnst.nist.gov/>
100 Bureau Drive, MS 6201
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-6200 USA
+1-301-975-2886

Any mention of commercial products is for information only; it does not imply recommendation or endorsement by NIST
[http://www.encapsulite.com/images/Safelight%20Chart.jpg]
Chart Source:  http://www.encapsulite.com/graphic-arts-darkroom-safelight-rolls-p-100401.html#1-YToyOntzOjQ6ImdyaWQiO2k6MDtzOjE1OiJleHRlbmRlZGxpc3RpbmciO2k6MDt9