[labnetwork] Equipment reservation efficiencies

Nava Ariel-Sternberg na2661 at columbia.edu
Mon Jul 17 08:41:13 EDT 2017

Hi Vito,

Since we’re just opening our clean room back after a long renovation, it’s hard to have tool reservation efficiency numbers but we’ve had this problem in the past and what we did to fight it is to randomly check on highly popular tools and compare reservations to actual use. If we found a big difference we would email the user and copy the PI. The big offenders got warnings and that was effective in the sense that they became more mindful of the reservation time. We also ask them to update their reservation if they finish using the tool sooner.

-Nava

Nava Ariel-Sternberg, Ph.D.

Director of CNI Shared Facilities

Columbia University