[labnetwork] Equipment reservation efficiencies

Shuyou Li shuyou at fomnetworks.com
Mon Jul 17 13:10:21 EDT 2017

Hi Vito,

The key point here is to provide an incentive for our tool users to book
time as accurate as they can, no more no less. In the FOM system, many
different charge policies can be defined, including a popular "combined"
charge policy, in which the users are charged according to the earlier
start time and latest end time, between the reservation and actual usage.
This means that if a user reserves an instrument with this charge policy
from, say, 4pm to 5pm, and uses it from 4:30 to 5:30, they will be charged
for the time between 4 and 5:30, which provides a financial incentive to
reserve accurately. According to our users' experiences, this policy is the
most widely used across our FOM customer institutions. The late
cancellation charge and no-show penalties are also critical to ensure every
user cancels their reservation if they don't need.

There are other tool-specific settings available in FOM that help with the
fair and maximized usage of particularly popular tools as well. For
instance, to minimize idle time, an option is provided to users to opt to
receive an email notification when a reservation is cancelled, or when a
user on their reservation logs off a set amount of minutes before their
reservation's end time. Other tool-specific options that the instrument
manager can set include a limit on the days a reservation can be made in
advance, the maximum time per user during this period, the option to open
new reservations day by day or hour by hour, and many more.

Thanks,
Shuyou
Shuyou Li, Ph.D.
FOM Networks, Inc.