[labnetwork] CoFeB sputtering

Luciani, Vincent (Fed) Vincent.Luciani at nist.gov
Tue Mar 28 19:11:59 EDT 2017

Hello Nava,

I talked to our PVD expert, Dr. Gerard Henein and he wrote:

Yes we do have this target and several users have used it over the years.
No safety or contamination concern. It is a very strong ferromagnet so the target needs to be thin (ours is 1/8”) and you need very strong magnets in the sputter gun.
The material is also brittle and will develop a crack in the long run. Gradual power up and power down is best. Binding it to a copper backing plate will also help.

Feel free to contact Gerard directly if you like.  He is a wealth of knowledge.

Best,

Vince

Vincent K. Luciani
NanoFab Manager