[labnetwork] Carbon deposition in e-beam evaporator

Aaron Hryciw ahryciw at ualberta.ca
Wed Oct 4 12:06:35 EDT 2017

Dear colleagues,

We have recently had a request to deposit carbon via electron-beam
evaporation, to create thin (≤10 nm) films of diamond-like carbon.  We are
an open-access nanofabrication/characterization centre in a university
setting, so cross-contamination is a concern.  However, in addition to our
workhorse e-beam evaporators, we have an under-utilised cryo-pumped e-beam
system, the chamber of which is typically lined with Al foil, and I am
considering using this system for this carbon deposition.  It has
historically only been used for metal and Si deposition.  Given that the
foil is replaced frequently, I would hope that this would mitigate chamber
contamination.

Are there any other concerns with carbon deposition via e-beam evaporation
that I should be aware of?  Any advice/wisdom/tips and tricks would be
appreciated.  Many thanks.

Cheers,

 – Aaron

Aaron Hryciw, PhD, PEng