[labnetwork] Best practices for chemical storage, cross contamination, conservation

Michael Khbeis khbeis at uw.edu
Fri Feb 9 19:18:55 EST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

We have many users avoiding shared baths for things like RCA, Piranha, and even developers because they worry about cross-contamination (and rightfully so with random things floating in the baths on a fairly regular basis). However, this has led to numerous users pouring resealable, food grade containers, that subsequently leave them cluttered on our wet process station work surfaces for up to several weeks. This of course is not an acceptable solution but prohibiting this behavior will result in a massive waste of otherwise perfectly good chemicals. So we have a challenge of balancing process integrity, safety, and chemical economy. We are looking for better temporary storage solutions that would allow transport of containers to chemical cabinets, but I am curious how other sites have resolved or administered this issue.

Gratefully,

Dr. Michael Khbeis
Director, Washington Nanofabrication Facility (WNF)
National Nanotechnology Coordinated Infrastructure (NNCI)
University of Washington
Fluke Hall, Box 352143
(O) 206.543.5101
(F) 206.221.1681