[labnetwork] Best practices for chemical storage, cross contamination, conservation

Fouad Karouta fouad.karouta at anu.edu.au
Sun Feb 11 17:56:51 EST 2018

Hi Michael,

Working with chemicals is a delicate matter and unless you have clear rules about what can be used in shared baths and what cannot. However this description may still be misinterpreted by users.

I am not sure if you have users using wet etchants for wafer batches (25x).
If users are only using one wafer to smaller pieces at one time you can limit the amount of chemicals used by having adequate containers to use a limited amount of chemical even with a one 4" wafer (beaker with 11 cm diameter and 5-6 cm edge height). For HF I tend to get regular size containers then get it machined in workshop to reduce the height.
Each user makes his solution and use it then dispose of it upon the rules (neutralize, etc.).
You may consider the following:

*         To avoid having every user preparing upfront those chemicals and putting a pressure on the storage area, you may consider having one container of each regularly used solution prepared and topped up by your staff, this can go for RCA, HF dilutions, etc.

*         A remark about piranha solution though I suppose the purpose is just cleaning the wafer but H2O2 is unstable in acidic solution and you should consider how long such a solution can be used.
Regards,
Fouad Karouta

Manager ANFF ACT Node
Australian National Fabrication Facility
Research School of Physics and Engineering
L. Huxley Building (#56), Mills Road, Room 4.02
Australian National University
ACT 0200, Canberra, Australia
Tel: + 61 2 6125 7174
Mob: + 61 451 046 412