[labnetwork] ICP etch of LiNbO3

Iulian Codreanu codreanu at udel.edu
Wed Jan 31 10:54:46 EST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you to all who have replied to this thread.

Does anyone have experience with etching LiNbO3 in a chlorine-based
chamber that is used to process III-V materials? We would use
fluorinated gases to etch the LiNbO3 as we have those available as
cleaning gases.

Other than "dirtying up" the chamber (which could be remedied by
mechanical scrubbing and reconditioning), would the III-V materials be
more tolerable to the LiNbO3 etch byproducts than Si?

Thank you,

Iulian

iulian Codreanu, Ph.D.
Director of Operations, UD NanoFab