[labnetwork] Hazardous gas delivery logistics

Nava Ariel-Sternberg na2661 at columbia.edu
Wed Jan 31 14:06:54 EST 2018

Dear all,

I am very happy to say that we are finally gearing up to full operations in the Columbia University clean room (after a long renovation period, inspections, permits etc.). The final stage will be to bring on-line systems that use toxic and other hazardous gases that we do not yet have on site. As we are getting ready to receive those gases, we started discussing what would be the safest way to receive them and the logistics involved. This has brought some interesting questions and I wanted to get some inputs from other facilities.

Could you please comment on the toxic gases receiving procedures in your facility? Is the delivery done at special times in the day? Are you securing the cylinder path? (making sure no one is in the corridor/elevator etc.?) Are you performing leak checks when the cylinder arrives to campus? Are staff wearing SCBA when handling the cylinders? When is the transfer point between the gas company and the technical staff of the clean room?

Thanks,

Nava

Nava Ariel-Sternberg, Ph.D.

Director of CNI Shared Facilities