[labnetwork] EV620 win98 spare computer

smitha nair smithanair82 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 09:38:06 EDT 2018

Hello Chito ,

We have  an EVG 620 system which is running with Win 2000. We recently
faced the same issue as you had mentioned . I can share with you my
experiences :

Issue noticed : random booting error, screen stuck with  "applying
settings"". Also our IT team figured out problem with motherboard .

Outline :

   1.  multiple restart worked few times , then the system crashed.
   2.  We tried to do motherboard local servicing , and after a long
   duration we got it done.
   3.  EVG said they can re install the software provided we get the
   licensed version of Win 2000.  We had the cloned HDD.
   4.  We were lucky to get an old CPU ( we even looked into the CPU's used
   by our senior students to get an older version ) , which matched the
   hardware configuration . But we had trouble with the LAN connection.
   5. We had purchased both EVG 620 and EVG Bonder together . The CPU
   configuration matched  and Bonder did not require the LAN. We have heavy
   use of EVG 620 , hence connected the Bonder CPU to EVG with repaired
   motherboard . It all worked well .
   6.  EVG CPU we connected to the Bonder later .
   7.  As you mentioned the option of upgrade was not very feasible for us.

We could, after long wait, get the tool up.  EVG supported us by providing
registration code multiple times, till we got the tool working.

Regards
Smitha Nair
Technology Manager
National Nanofabrication Centre (NNFC),
Centre for Nano Science and Engineering (CeNSE),
Indian Institute of  Science (IISc),
Bangalore-560012.
smithanair at iisc.ac.in