[labnetwork] PECVD/RIE - One-piece aluminum chamber or welded stainless steel

James P McVittie mcvittie at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 25 15:12:26 EDT 2018

Xin,

One normally does not want a plasma in contact with a stainless steel chamber wall.   Typically, there is a plasma potential of around 15V  between the plasma and a grounded wall.  Ion bombardment of the wall will result is some sputtering of the surface of the wall.  Fe and Ni from SS can be a problem for Si devices.

There are several ways to get around sputtering from an SS chamber wall. These include using Al shields on the wall,  using a magnetic electron reflector (alternating N/S magnets around the outside of the wall) or using a glass cylinder between the wall and the wafer.  I hope this is helpful.

    Jim

James (Jim) McVittie, Ph.D.

Senior Research Engineer

Electrical Engineering