[labnetwork] Fluoride contamination in FeO ALD films

Chito Kendrick cekendri at mtu.edu
Wed Oct 24 09:43:06 EDT 2018

We have been optimizing our FeO ALD films for a user and XPS results keep
showing a high Florine content (up to 10%). I have run the system with O3
pulses and the Ar purge through the Ferrocene line, but with the precursor
valve closed, and we do not see F.

We have a manual SS-42GVCR4 valve on the precursor and that has modified
PTFE in the valve which might be the problem as everything else is VCR
fittings. The Ferrocene is at 100 degC so I would not expect the PTFE to
break down.

We do have other o-rings on the system - seal for the lid, load lock, pump
fittings; but only with the Ferrocene pulsing have we see F.

Do others see F in their films - does not have to be FeO. I am waiting for
XPS tests to be done on some HfO films we deposited.

Chito Kendrick

--
Chito Kendrick Ph.D. <https://sites.google.com/site/chitokendrickphd/>

Managing Director of the Microfabrication Facility
Research Assistant Professor
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Michigan Technological University
Room 436 M&M Building