[labnetwork] Getting files off older computers

Demis D. John demis at ece.ucsb.edu
Tue Sep 11 12:20:29 EDT 2018

As others said, We also have an "intermediate" computer that sits between
our lab computers and the campus network.
In our case it's a Debian Linux server running the firewall etc.  So this
takes some active mangement, but has given us a lot of granular control
over how our network operates and how users can get their files.
It allows us to have some computers with full internet access, while tool
computers only have internal network access, and all computers can access
our Process Wiki regardless (for tool instructions etc.) & the Equipment
Signup site.  We can also allow Vendors to remote-access as needed, for a
short amount of time.

Our lab computers, including old Win3.1, WinXP etc. run an hourly script
that syncs ("rsync") new files to the Linux server.
Users can then SFTP into the Linux server and get their files.  It has some
scripts that set up SFTP access for each group, restricted to their own
folders on each tool only.
This does require someone to have some Linux experience, and we still
employ a consultant for very difficult cases.

In the lab, we disable the Windows Driver for the "USB Mass Storage" to
prevent users from using the USB ports.  Even for computers that don't have
restricted user accounts, this still prevents users from using the USB
drives.
-- Demis

           demis at ucsb.edu
*   Process Scientist Manager*